Built in 1877 as a school for children up to the age of 11 Buxhall Village Hall served as the village school until its closure circa 1945. Children from the village then had to travel to the neighbouring village of Great Finborough for their education. From 1945 until 1962 the hall was maintained by East Suffolk County Council and used as a village hall by the local community.
In December 1961 East Suffolk County Council conveyed the Buxhall closed school to the Buxhall Parish Council for the princely sum of £500 and Buxhall Village Hall was established by Trust Deed in August 1962. Buxhall Village Hall was registered as a Charity and a management committee formed.
Over the years small improvements were made to the hall but it became clear that major improvements and additions were needed to make the hall fit for purpose. In 1991 a group of local residents undertook a complete renovation and added a modern extension to the hall. Further work has taken place and the Management Committee are most grateful to the students of West Suffolk College who in April 2015 undertook a project which included the installation of new double glazed windows along with the refurbishment and redecoration of the hall. LED lighting was fitted throughout the hall during the period of lockdown brought about by the Covid -19 pandemic.
Buxhall Village Hall is a registered charity (No. 304724) run by trustees. It does not receive any local authority funding, and relies on hiring revenue and fundraising by volunteers for income. It hosts a wide range of community events throughout the year.